PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

iFCB in use with Amplitube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wACkMPfcEEA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgYUEvwvqxs&

Presented by JasTheMusicMan

Post subject: Re: iFCB and Amplitube
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 am 

These videos are fantastic and essential viewing for getting up to speed with amplitube and the fcb1010. I am using firmware version 2.3.12 (same firmware being used in the video) a MidiMan Uno that does NOT have a serial number (no 5k ohm resistor issue), amplitube 3, the latest version of iFCB purchased from your website. I have followed the instructions on the video closely. Everything works as expected except the "on off " [cc1 0 - cc1 127] feature. The cc value will turn a stomp box on but the second tap of the switch will not turn it off as it does in your video. Is this a firmware issue? Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02 am 
Site Admin

tommyctech wrote:
These videos are fantastic and essential viewing for getting up to speed with amplitube and the fcb1010. I am using firmware version 2.3.12 (same firmware being used in the video) a MidiMan Uno that does NOT have a serial number (no 5k ohm resistor issue), amplitube 3, the latest version of iFCB purchased from your website. I have followed the instructions on the video closely. Everything works as expected except the "on off " [cc1 0 - cc1 127] feature. The cc value will turn a stomp box on but the second tap of the switch will not turn it off as it does in your video. Is this a firmware issue? Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Hi,

Those aren't my videos, those are JasTheMusicMan's videos. There's another thread in the forum here that might explain the problem with Amplitube and the stomps. In a nutshell, Amplitube changed how stomps are switched between version 2 and 3 if I recall correctly.

To enable a stomp, they want alternate CC values, so for example:

CC# 1, 0, CC#1 127 - turn stomp ON
CC#1 127, CC#1, 0 - turn stomp OFF

Thus when you press an FCB1010 button, it has to send TWO CC#'s not just one. Why did they do this? I have no idea. Ask 1K Media.

A stock FCB1010 can do this but it will take two patches.

Now I haven't tried this, but you might try programming button 6 for the CC#1 0, CC#1 127, then program button 1 for CC#1, 127 and CC#1, 0 you'll have button 6 to enable a stomp, button 1 to disable.

In this way, you could control up to 5 stomps on and off.

Course, someone is going to have to test this idea to see if it works, and I'll see if I can free up some time to give it a test too.

Mel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 pm 

mel wrote:
tommyctech wrote:

Hi,

Those aren't my videos, those are JasTheMusicMan's videos. There's another thread in the forum here that might explain the problem with Amplitube and the stomps. In a nutshell, Amplitube changed how stomps are switched between version 2 and 3 if I recall correctly.

To enable a stomp, they want alternate CC values, so for example:

CC# 1, 0, CC#1 127 - turn stomp ON
CC#1 127, CC#1, 0 - turn stomp OFF

Thus when you press an FCB1010 button, it has to send TWO CC#'s not just one. Why did they do this? I have no idea. Ask 1K Media.

A stock FCB1010 can do this but it will take two patches.

Now I haven't tried this, but you might try programming button 6 for the CC#1 0, CC#1 127, then program button 1 for CC#1, 127 and CC#1, 0 you'll have button 6 to enable a stomp, button 1 to disable.

In this way, you could control up to 5 stomps on and off.

Course, someone is going to have to test this idea to see if it works, and I'll see if I can free up some time to give it a test too.

Mel

Tried this, this weekend and it does not work. You can not assign as second midi note to a switch in Amplitube. As far as I can tell it only lets you learn midi once for each bypass.

Also the new No2CC converter seems to only work as a stomp for 5 switches. Unless I am setting it up wrong, it seems that in stomp mode it works for 6-10 then stops works as anything other than a temporary on off switch. It is nice to have control of a few of the effects in Amplitube but I have now pretty much resigned myself to using other plugins for most of my guitar fx.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Jaandlu wrote:

Tried this, this weekend and it does not work. You can not assign as second midi note to a switch in Amplitube. As far as I can tell it only lets you learn midi once for each bypass.

Also the new No2CC converter seems to only work as a stomp for 5 switches. Unless I am setting it up wrong, it seems that in stomp mode it works for 6-10 then stops works as anything other than a temporary on off switch. It is nice to have control of a few of the effects in Amplitube but I have now pretty much resigned myself to using other plugins for most of my guitar fx.

In Amplitube, it assigns itself alternate CC values for switching. You can't control that end of it at all. Thus if you use the Learn in Amplitube and send it a CC, it wants the alternate CC's when it comes to using it. Thus it does learn the CC you sent, but if you only send a single CC, nothing will happen because it's expecting two of them. I suspect they are switching on the transition value (say from 0-127 and then from 127-0) rather than a toggle on a single value. Course only Amplitube knows for sure.

NO2CC only works for 5 stomps. If you have more than that, you have too many stomps... :D

On a more serious side, if it did 10, someone would want 15, if it did twenty, someone would want...well, that's the way it goes.

The best route would be to point out to Amplitube that it would be nice if they dropped the alternate CC scheme for stomp switching. That would make the FCB1010 far more capable as a MIDI controller for it.

Mel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:05 am 

mel wrote:

NO2CC only works for 5 stomps. If you have more than that, you have too many stomps... :D

Mel

I may have to many stomps but I see no way around it. It is all necessary. I need a wah, whammy, octaver, 3 types of distortion, tremolo, delay, and phaser. It is all part of my sound. I agree that if you have more than 10 stomps you have to many but, come on, only 5????

Okay, yeah, there is probably something wrong with me. Because most midi controllers these days have 5 or less buttons. I'm bipolar and ADD, I need options at my toe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Jaandlu wrote:
I may have to many stomps but I see no way around it. It is all necessary. I need a wah, whammy, octaver, 3 types of distortion, tremolo, delay, and phaser. It is all part of my sound. I agree that if you have more than 10 stomps you have to many but, come on, only 5????

Okay, yeah, there is probably something wrong with me. Because most midi controllers these days have 5 or less buttons. I'm bipolar and ADD, I need options at my toe.

There's no reason you can't have all those stomps, but with NO2CC's stomp box feature and the global MIDI settings you could only control the bypass on five of them.

If you feel the urge to RiverDance on the FCB1010 to control 10 of them during a blistering 12 second lead solo :D , you can do that as well, but you won't be able to use the NO2CC stomp mode. You'll get no indication a stomp is on or off other than what you hear but it's simple to do.

The big difference will be that the stomp controls will be "preset" based instead of global. Thus if you have 10 pedals in 10 presets, you're going to have to manually assign controls to each and every one of them. There's no short cut.

1. Program your FCB1010 with 10 notes for any bank, buttons 1-10, disable all other items in each of those patches except for the expression pedals.
2. You set up NO2CC MIDI IN and OUT the same as outlined in the NO2CC manual.
3. In NO2CC turn off the Stompbox Mode.
4. Run Amplitube.
5. Set up Amplitube's MIDI as outlined in the NO2CC manual.
6. CTRL Click on the stomp bypass button you want ; Select Assign MIDI-->Learn Bypass
7. Press the button on the FCB1010 that you want for that stomp bypass.
(Amplitube will have heard it and it's learning dialog will go away).
8. Continue along until all 10 stomps (or less) have been assigned.
9. Click the MIDI button in Amplitube

You should see all the stomps you just assigned in the "Preset" section. Click on each on in the "Latch" column so it says ON.

That's it. When you use one of the 10 buttons on the FCB1010 that stomp will turn off, press it again it will turn on.

Mel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 am 

mel wrote:
Jaandlu wrote:

There's no reason you can't have all those stomps, but with NO2CC's stomp box feature and the global MIDI settings you could only control the bypass on five of them.

If you feel the urge to RiverDance on the FCB1010 to control 10 of them during a blistering 12 second lead solo :D , you can do that as well, but you won't be able to use the NO2CC stomp mode. You'll get no indication a stomp is on or off other than what you hear but it's simple to do.

The big difference will be that the stomp controls will be "preset" based instead of global. Thus if you have 10 pedals in 10 presets, you're going to have to manually assign controls to each and every one of them. There's no short cut.

1. Program your FCB1010 with 10 notes for any bank, buttons 1-10, disable all other items in each of those patches except for the expression pedals.
2. You set up NO2CC MIDI IN and OUT the same as outlined in the NO2CC manual.
3. In NO2CC turn off the Stompbox Mode.
4. Run Amplitube.
5. Set up Amplitube's MIDI as outlined in the NO2CC manual.
6. CTRL Click on the stomp bypass button you want ; Select Assign MIDI-->Learn Bypass
7. Press the button on the FCB1010 that you want for that stomp bypass.
(Amplitube will have heard it and it's learning dialog will go away).
8. Continue along until all 10 stomps (or less) have been assigned.
9. Click the MIDI button in Amplitube

You should see all the stomps you just assigned in the "Preset" section. Click on each on in the "Latch" column so it says ON.

That's it. When you use one of the 10 buttons on the FCB1010 that stomp will turn off, press it again it will turn on.

Mel

Ahhhhhh! I did not get this before. This makes much more sense. I will try this in Logic when I get home and see if it works. Thanks Mel. You rock!

Ja